Posts for tag: tooth extraction
According to the American Dental Association, a tooth extraction may be necessary if a tooth suffers from disease, trauma, or crowding. That's why your Lake Oswego, OR dentist, Dr. Colin Smith, is here to offer you some advice.
Oral surgery can be a frightening thing but if you follow these tips, you may be able to avoid getting a tooth extraction due to disease:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day and making sure your brush reaches the furthest molars in your mouth.
- Flossing between every tooth, including the molars in the back of your mouth, once before bedtime, at least.
- Avoiding smoking, chewing tobacco and drinking excessive amounts of coffee and tea.
If, however, the reason you need a tooth extraction is due to trauma, like your tooth was severely damaged while playing a sport, and/or your teeth are overcrowded, then oral surgery is necessary. Here is what your tooth extraction experience may include:
- Examine the severity of the situation and schedule an appointment for the tooth extraction.
- You will be given anesthetics that will need to be taken before your procedure. They will numb your mouth during the procedure.
- The doctor will stitch the extraction area and place gauze to stop bleeding and help with blood clot formation.
Care After your Tooth Extraction:
- Make sure to change the gauze periodically.
- You will not be able to eat or drink for a few hours, but ice and painkillers will help you through the process.
- Also, avoid smoking or drinking alcoholic beverage after the procedure and rinse your mouth with warm salt water.
- If you find yourself suffering from severe pain, then you may have a dry socket. This means the blood clot hasn't formed properly and you need to see your Lake Oswego dentist.
If you think you need a tooth extraction and want to consult your doctor to see if the tooth is beyond saving, then you should call your Lake Oswego, OR, dentist today.