Discover the tooth replacement that acts just like a real tooth.
Even though dental implants have been around since the 60s it hasn’t been until the last decade or so that more and more people have been turning to our Lake Oswego, OR, dentist Dr. Colin Smith and his team for dental implants. An implant offers an incredibly lifelike tooth replacement that is made from long-lasting and biocompatible materials. Wondering how dental implants work and whether they are right for you? Let’s find out!
How does a dental implant work?
To understand how an implant works it’s first important to understand that this restoration is made up of three different components:
- An 8-16mm long metal post or screw
- An abutment (an attachment that connects the implant and false tooth)
- A replacement tooth (e.g. crown, bridge or dentures)
The metal post is a replacement tooth root, which means that our Lake Oswego, OR, will need to place the dental implant into the jawbone. During the healing process, the implant will fuse together with bone and tissue. From there, an abutment is placed on top of the implant, making it possible to connect the jawbone-fused implant with the replacement tooth or teeth above the gums.
Who can benefit from dental implants?
This tooth replacement option is ideal for just about any healthy individual who is faced with tooth loss. Some of the factors that we look at to determine whether implants are right for you include:
- Age: Implants are ideal for adults because their jawbones have fully developed so they can easily support an implant. In fact, adults of all ages can receive implants, even seniors!
- Your health: Health is a major factor to consider before deciding whether you should receive implants. The ideal candidate for implants will be in great general health and also maintain good oral hygiene. We will go through your medical history and examine your smile fully to make sure that you are healthy enough for implants.
- Dedication to treatment: Before receiving any restorative treatment, our dental team wants to make sure that you are committed to the process. While it can take months to get your implant the benefit is that you will have this artificial tooth the rest of your life. Get the treatment you need now and reap the long-term health benefits.
Interested? Give us a call
Are you dealing with tooth loss? Looking for a dentist in Lake Oswego, OR, that can provide you with dental implants? If so, you’ve come to the right place. The team at Lake Oswego Smiles has placed countless dental implants and can place yours, too. Schedule a consultation by calling (503) 635-3653.